Cashify unveiled/released their fifth annual “User Behaviour whitepaper” for the pre-owned smartphone market. The whitepaper/study captures the impact the lockdown and the Indo-China conflict had on the segment, the factors influencing consumer behavior, and the key trends and drivers of growth in the pre-owned smartphone market during the last year. It also reveals the differences in user behaviour across cities and brands in India.
The whitepaper/study confirmed that despite the nationwide lockdowns, the 2020 Q3 smartphone shipments in India were at 53 million units which made it the highest-ever shipment in a quarter. Xiaomi topped the chart as the most sold smartphone brand by its users. In the pre-owner market, Mi stood as the number one selling brand with a 26% share followed by Apple (20%) and Samsung (16%) in the third position, followed by Motorola (6%), VIVO(6%) and Oppo(5%). The consumers’ choice of online retailers reveals how even offline-centric brands like Vivo and Oppo have been forced to scale up their online presence.
The paper listed Delhi (23%), Mumbai(13%), Bangalore (11%), and Hyderabad(7%) as the top 4 for sales of pre-owned smartphones. Satellite towns such as Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Ahmedabad and Lucknow have also shown robust growth and secured top spots in the upcoming city category.
The survey received responses from close to 4000 people. Among other insights emerged from the whitepaper/survey, a majority of Indians preferred buying smartphones over laptops, 84% of them upgraded their smartphone within 14-18 months of purchase. No-cost EMI option and replacement warranty were the top criterions for purchase.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has digitally transformed our places of work and education. The companies that were resistant to the concept of a distributed workforce were forced to allow work from home so that work could still go on while taking precautions to stop the virus spread. The education sector is a good case in point: universities and schools have been delivering distance learning as a feature for some time. One of the most important reasons for upgrading for most smartphone users has been the need to have a smartphone with high speed network connectivity (3G to 4G) and supporting apps for online classes and work from home. And those who couldn’t afford a new smartphone were seen opting for refurbished devices with Mi being the most popular among this segment.
Cashify also revealed the Truth Index for cities, measured by the percentage of smartphone users who stated the actual condition of their devices most truthfully, while putting them up for sale online. Hyderabad and Chennai topped the index with a score of 31%, followed by Bangalore at 30%. Gurgaon was the least truthful with a score of 26%.
Commenting on the whitepaper/survey, Nakul Kumar, COO & Co-Founder, Cashify, said, “A major migration from offline to online took place last year. Locked within their houses, everyone had to make do with whatever was accessible online. Work, studies and shopping all shifted to digital.
As lockdown restrictions eased and people started stepping out, our focus again was on expanding our touchpoints with smartphone users. Be it selling or buying, a majority of Indian smartphone users have come to trust platforms and services such as ours to derive maximum value out of their pre-owned smartphones. The Recommerce industry saw a surge in Q3 of 2020, for those who still preferred offline, we also launched over ten Cashify Stores in the second half of 2020 all over India. The brand has seen a definite surge in 2019-20.”
Commenting on the whitepaper/survey launch, Mandeep Manocha, Co-founder & CEO, Cashify, said, “Last year turned the tables for all of us in an unprecedented manner. With so much happening around the world, it was no less than a rollercoaster ride for all of us. Some well-known, mega brands had to shut shop in India, while some dormant ones got to see the light of day again. Lockdowns and the Indo-China conflict had an impact on the smartphone industry as well. As sentiments soured between the neighbouring countries, the interdependent smartphone markets faced new challenges. With this whitepaper, we have tried to cover the highs and lows and everything that impacted the mobile business during this past year.”
What users like across brands?
- iPhones are most favoured by males as they have 71% percent men users, higher than other major brands. It is mostly used by consumers in the age bracket of 25 to 34 years.
- Samsung smartphones are mostly used by consumers within the age bracket of 25-34 years, as 34 percent users fall in this age group. About 82% users of Samsung smartphones in India are male. Samsung India enjoys the highest number of users from Delhi, about 14%. Next on the chart are Bengaluru and Hyderabad
- Occupying the largest chunk of market in the INR 30,000+ segment, OnePlus clocked up a whopping 35% market share by the end of Q3 2019. The top user base of OnePlus is based out of Delhi, as 14% users are from the city. Mumbai and Bengaluru come next. Male users form 86% of users, and 14% are within the age group of 25-34 years.
- Oppo’s major user base comes from the male demographic with over 80% of Oppo users being male. Although certain specs the brand boasts of do make it popular among females, its female user base in 2020 was just about 20%. Speaking of age, the maximum number of Oppo users come from the 18 to 25 year age group, which is about 36%. We also see about 33% of the brand usage coming from people within the age group of 25 to 34 years. Oppo, in India, has the highest user base from the city of Delhi, around 14%. Next on the list are Bengaluru and Mumbai.
- Xiaomi enjoys a majorly male-dominated market with 85% percent male and 15% female users in India. Most of the Xiaomi user base in India comes from the 18 to 24 years age group, surpassing the 25 to 34 years bracket. The brand has the highest user base in New Delhi, as 14% of Xiaomi smartphone consumption comes from the capital. Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
- People sold their second hand phones at the average price of ₹4,217 in 2020
- 47% of the responded bought refurbished phone from online reseller
- Smartphones around the age of 3 years got sold the most by users
- Nearly 62% smartphone issues are screen-related, battery issues come next with about 21%
- 80% of the males sold their smartphones while only 20% of the females sold their smartphones in 2020
- The number of smartphone repairs is the highest in Delhi which is over 35% in the entire country
- Delhi (23%), Mumbai (13%), Bangalore (11%), are leading the sales/need for pre-owned smartphones
- Satellite towns of Delhi lead the pack in the upcoming city with Faridabad and Ghaziabad taking the lead
- Despite the smartphone market exiting 2020 at a decline of 1.7% with the shipment of 150 million units, the coming year seems promising. 40% feel that work from home and new education mandates make it crucial for individuals to own gadgets equipped enough to meet those needs.
- No-cost EMI option, replacement warranty and contactless delivery are the top criterions for purchase of refurbished gadgets
- 50% chose affordability as a primary reason for buying refurbished gadget instead of a brand new one
Sony Celebrating its Legacy, Brings World of Film Campaign
Sony India Pvt Ltd. is proud to announce the World of Film, an initiative to celebrate Sony’s legacy and continued commitment to the movie making world. Whether it be involvement with high profile blockbuster studios or an individual crafting their indie film, Sony is committed in their creative journey every step of the way through the power of their Alpha series interchangeable lens cameras and Cinema Line camera series. The campaign begins on 2nd August 2021 and will run until the end of the year.
Sony’s Film Legacy captures emotion and unleash the true power of visual storytelling
For decades, Sony has pushed the boundaries in the world of filmmaking and stayed at the forefront of cutting-edge cinematic technology. In 2000, Sony introduced Hollywood to the HDW F900, the world’s first digital cinema camera. The F900 was used to make blockbuster movies such as Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones in 100% digital cinematography. Sony’s class leading VENICE has been used to capture hundreds of theatrical, broadcast, cable and streaming releases. Sony has combined its film industry DNA and superior digital imaging prowess to create powerful creative tools such as the Cinema Line and Alpha Series cameras to capture emotion and unleash the true power of visual storytelling.
Sony’s extended history in the cinematic world has built long lasting relationships with studios and filmmakers the world over. With this engagement of the filmmaking community, Sony hopes to encourage content creators to blossom through the power of Sony digital imaging equipment.
Celebrating creators from a diverse range of backgrounds and across a wide range of genres
Sony will be celebrating several unique filmmakers from a diverse range of backgrounds and across a wide range of genres. These include individual filmmakers to production houses crossing Asia Pacific.
Their films will be showcased alongside exclusive behind the scenes production footage starting 2nd August 2021. This footage will share their journey and experience in filmmaking and the gear that helped them achieve their vision. Additionally, these creators will hold workshops sharing insights on how they achieved their cinematic visions starting 2nd August 2021.
Filmmaking competition consists of two categories, the Open Category and the College Category for submission of Fiction or Non-Fiction films
Sony will be running a filmmaking competition as part of the campaign; the competition begins on 2nd August 2021 and runs until the end of the year on 31st December 2021. In both categories, fiction and non-fiction film videoare accepted for submission. The competition consists of two categories. (participant residing in India)
- Open Category: The Open Category is free to enter and is open to anyone who submits their film or films shot with a Sony camera body
- College Category: The College Category which is open to participants undertaking a full-time course in audio visual content creation (Photography, Videography, Multimedia, UI, Mass Communication, Media and Filmmaking programme)
The special prize for winners of Sony India’s Open category is Sony ILCE-7S III camera and SEL2470Z lens and College category is Sony Cinema Line FX3 and SEL1635GM lens; Regional winner will USD$10,000 cash under the Open and USD$5,000 cash under the College category
Winners will first be chosen on a local level before being judged regionally. The Sony India winners will be judged in January 2022 while the regional winner will be judged in February 2022. The Sony India category winners will receive the following special prize:
- For the Open Category (one winner): Special prize of Alpha 7S III camera and SEL2470Z Lens
- For the College Category (maximum 3 groups per college with up to 4 students per group; one winner): Special Prize of Sony Cinema Line FX3 camera and SEL1635GM lens for the participating College
- Group Members of the Winner of college (maximum up to 4 students) will each get Sony’s Premium Headphone as a special prize
The regional winner will receive a grand prize of USD$10,000 cash under the Open Category and USD$5,000 cash under the College Category. For further information, please sign up to receive notifications on World of Film and its upcoming events.
Micron Brings Latest 176-Layer NAND in Mobile Solutions to Boost 5G Experience
Micron Technology, Inc., announced it has begun volume shipments of the world’s first 176-layer NAND Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 3.1 mobile solution. Engineered for high-end and flagship phones, Micron’s discrete UFS 3.1 mobile NAND unlocks 5G’s potential with up to 75% faster sequential write and random read performance than prior generations,1 enabling downloads of two-hour 4K movies2 in as little as
Micron’s 176-layer NAND offers a compact design ideal for the high capacity, small form factors required in mobile devices. This launch follows quickly on the heels of Micron’s volume delivery of PCIe Gen4 solid-state drives with 176-layer NAND in June, bringing high performance, design flexibility and low power consumption to professional workstations and ultrathin notebooks. Now available for smartphones, Micron’s industry-pioneering advanced NAND technology and performance enables a more responsive mobile experience with true multitasking across apps.
“5G delivers multigigabit speeds to mobile devices, and a high-performance hardware foundation is critical to powering these lightning-fast mobile experiences,” said Raj Talluri, senior vice president and general manager of Micron’s Mobile Business Unit. “Our breakthrough 176-layer NAND supercharges smartphones with unparalleled performance, delivering rich multimedia content to consumers’ fingertips in a flash.”
Micron’s 176-layer UFS 3.1 solution provides 15% faster mixed workload performance than its prior generation, enabling faster app launching and switching across multiple apps for a smoother mobile experience. Without storage as a bottleneck, users can take advantage of 5G’s speeds with the powerful combination of UFS 3.1 and Micron’s 176-layer NAND.
“Micron’s first-of-its-kind combination of UFS 3.1 and 176-layer NAND will give our HONOR Magic3 Series an edge as the first smartphone to debut with this high-performance 3D NAND solution,” said Fang Fei, president of product line at Honor Device Co., Ltd. “Users of our new flagship HONOR Magic3 Series will be able to enjoy snappy, seamless multitasking across apps, fast downloads and storage supported by Micron’s industry-leading solution.”
Micron’s 176-layer mobile solution features:
- Improved performance: Micron’s 176-layer UFS 3.1 solution brings 75% faster sequential write and 70% faster random read performance over previous generations, dramatically accelerating application performance.
- Faster downloads: The up to 1,500 MB/s sequential write performance translates to an ability to download a 10-minute 4K (2,160 pixel) YouTube video stream in 0.7 seconds3 or a two-hour 4K movie in 9.6 seconds.
- Smoother mobile experience: As compared to its predecessor, Micron’s 176-layer UFS 3.1 solution and its premium quality of service results in about 10% shorter latency for faster response times and a more reliable mobile experience.
- Improved endurance: Micron’s 176-layer mobile solution boasts up to two times the improved total bytes written versus its previous-generation product,4 meaning twice the total data can be stored without degrading device reliability and the smartphone’s life span can be extended for even the heaviest of users.
Availability of Micron’s 176-layer UFS 3.1 mobile solutions
Now available, Micron’s 176-layer UFS 3.1 discrete mobile NAND is offered in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities.
Hrithik Roshan Continues to Endorse Zebronics’ IT Peripherals
Taking forth their 5th year of association, Zebronics in a strategic move has ventured to make accessible ‘premium to masses’ range of IT peripherals taking cognisance of the ‘work from home’ culture adopted across the globe. Zebronics holds decades worth of trust and a loyal clientele in IT Peripherals, Home & Personal Audio, Mobile & LIfestyle Accessories and Surveillance category for 24 years now.
The pandemic has brought along a new way of working in the new normal with an increasing need and requirement for setting up computers at home to work remotely and smoothly. The IT Peripherals segment has found a fresh lease of life in the pandemic as ‘work from home’ regimen gains more strength. People are looking at making their remote working space more productive be it online education or PC gaming, thereby investing in the peripherals category once again.
Zebronics with its philosophy of being ‘Always Ahead’ and have planned to further cement its position, by introducing more world class products in the IT Peripheral segment, thereby pushing the envelope and strategically enhancing its position as a market leader by endorsements with Hrithik Roshan.
Hrithik Roshan shares, ” I trust Zebronics to understand the pulse of the Indian masses and deliver a range of IT peripherals to their demands. After our 4 years of productive association, I’m only happy to strengthen the relationship in line with the technological shift witnessed world over. Zebronics has been a market leader in making premium gadgets accessible to the masses at economical rates. As an ambassador it is satisfying to see the brand grow from strength to strength.”
“For zebronics the IT peripherals business has been the foundation, from the day of our inception in 1997, we continue to invest in this product category as PC gaming has become very popular and the category is very close to our heart. Superstar Hrithik Roshan is more than a style icon, he has a charming persona and having worked with him in the last few years, we feel he is the perfect face to our brand when it comes to style, hard work or panache. His exuberance and energetic personality syncs perfectly with our brand and we are very glad to strengthen our collaboration and also have him on board for this important category. As we like to say it’s ‘Zebronics for life’.” Mr Rajesh Doshi, Director, Zebronics said.
Trending4 days ago
Top Tech Gifting Ideas for This Friendship Day
Gadgets3 days ago
Get Rid of Slow Charging, Mi Brings New HyperSonic PowerBank
Trending5 days ago
Acer Day Sale is Back with Exciting Deals, Check All Details
TV4 days ago
Infinix X140-inch Android Smart TV Launched in India
Infotainment4 days ago
Tata Sky Binge Delivers OTT Aggregation Across 11 Streaming Apps
Gaming3 days ago
Enjoy Best Competitive Gaming at ‘The Rising’ Esports Tournament
Gadgets5 days ago
AGON Unveils AG493UCX2 and AG493QCX Curved Gaming Monitors
Trending1 day ago
Amazon’s GREAT FREEDOM FESTIVAL is Here, Check Top Deals