Fujifilm India Private Limited announced the launch of latest innovation breakthrough in India, the FUJIFILM GFX100 mirrorless digital camera (“GFX100”) incorporating an image sensor with the world’s highest 102 million pixels resolution and unique color reproduction technology to achieve the world-leading image quality. The event saw the presence of Mr. Haruto Iwata, Managing Director, Fujifilm India Pvt Ltd., Mr. Dabboo Ratnani, Celebrity and Fashion Photographer and International Editorial, Commercial and Corporate Photographer Mr. Zack Arias.
The GFX100 is a flagship model of the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which have won strong praise from professional photographers and photo enthusiasts alike for the use of a large image sensor, boasting approximately 1.7 times the size of the 35mm full-frame sensor. Among digital cameras equipped with a sensor larger than the 35mm full-frame format, this is the world’s first model that offers (1) a back-illuminated sensor with phase detection pixels, (2) in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism and (3) 4K/30P video recording capability. The innovative mirrorless digital camera fulfills photography’s intrinsic mission of “capturing and recording precious moments that are never to be repeated again.” Launched in India today, the camera will be available at a price of INR 7,86,999/-.
Present at the event and Brand Ambassador for Fujifilm GFX range, Mr. Dabboo Ratnani said, “It is a matter of great pride for me to be associated with a cult brand like Fujifilm. The new GFX100 camera embodies a new standard of optical excellence with technological brilliance in new mount and optics; retaining Fujifilm’s renowned legacy. Packed with powerful features, the camera displays Fujifilm’s legendary artistry that will empower users to expand the realm of photographic capabilities. With this association, we look forward to an advanced mirrorless camera experience and witness a shift in the existing imaging industry to newer heights.”
On this occasion, the Optical Devices Division of FUJIFILM also unveiled the new “Premista” series of cinema zoom lenses. These lenses support large-format sensors and deliver outstanding high resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR (high dynamic range). The Premista Series brings out the maximum capability of large format sensors, which is increasingly being adopted into cinema camera, to provide robust support for high-quality video production. The Premista 28-100mm T2.9 will be available in August 2019 at a price of USD 38,800 and the Premista 80-250mm T2.9-3.5 will be available later this year at a price of USD 39,800.
Commenting in the launch of the ‘Premista’ series, Cinematographer Mr. Palash Das said, “I was recently honoured to shoot on the Premista 28-100mm large format zoom lens. The lens is indeed a breakthrough with crisper images and proper focal length coverage throughout the zoom range. It has a beautiful flare to it and the bokeh effect is also quite wonderful. My overall experience with the lens is nothing but fantastic and I will encourage more DOPs to use this zoom lens in Bollywood and across the world.”
Fujifilm has led the cinema industry since its foundation in 1934 to achieve domestic production of photographic and motion picture films. Since 2000, the company has worked on developing lenses for cinema cameras. Its products have received high acclaim at the frontline of movie, TV commercial and TV drama production around the world for their outstanding image quality. The development of high-performance zoom cinema lenses and their contribution to enhancing video image quality have been recognized in 2017 when Fujifilm was given the Emmy Award by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The new Premista Series will complement the existing “HK / ZK / XK / MK Series” of lenses to address diverse needs in video production.
Innovative features of the GFX100:
- The world’s highest 102 million pixels resolution delivers the world-leading image quality
With the features of the GFX series image sensor which has the a diagonal length of about 55 mm (43.8 mm x 32.9 mm) and is approx. 1.7 times bigger than a 35 mm full-frame format, GFX100 has double number of pixels compared to the current model***. Combining with the unique color reproduction technology, it achieves the world-leading image quality.
- Offering the following three structures/ functions for the first time as a digital camera that carries an image sensor larger than the 35mm full-frame format:
- Back-illuminated sensor with phase detection pixels: The use of phase detection pixels across the back-illuminated image sensor produces supreme image quality while making AF up to twice*4 as fast as that of the current models***. It also delivers outstanding Tracking AF performance on a moving subject and advanced accuracy in Continuous AF.
- In-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism:The use of up to 5.5-stop*4 five-axis in-body image stabilization controls pitch and yaw movements (up / down and right / left tilting) as well as shift (vertical / horizontal) and roll (rotational) movements. This dramatically broadens the scope of situations where users can handhold the camera and still enjoy the world of ultra-high 102 million pixels resolution.
- 4K/30P video recording function: The GFX100 supports 4K/30P video recording, capturing smooth motions at 30fps in ultra-high-definition 4K video. The camera allows users to enjoy beautiful bokeh with shallow depth-of-field and wide tonal reproducibility, enabling premium video production while reproducing detailed textures, three-dimensional definitions and even capturing the atmosphere of the scene.