TEMA and CMAI welcome the India’s Covid-19 relief package plan of Rs 20-lakh-crore aimed at bringing the economy back to its feet after the lockdown.
Prof NK Goyal, Chairman TEMA welcome the increase of FDI in defence sector from 49% to 74% and other reforms announced for Make in India for Defence sector. Another important step is level playing field for private companies in satellites, launches and space based services and use of ISRO facilities to private sector. This will increase investment in communication satellites. The proposed new liberal policy for geo spatial data policy for providing remote-sensing data to tech entrepreneurs. The another important step has been announcement of Technology Development cum Incubation Centres and establishment of facilities in PPP mode to use irradiation technology for food preservation. This will open new avenues for investment.
TEMA appreciates that above are supportive to the package announced for MSME in the first package.
Prof NK Goyal said that we hope that:
- The next package from Finance Minister may come for the telecom, electronics, ICT sector. It is beyond doubt that the covid days has shown that the telecom sector has been at forefront for providing connectivity to all citizens in India.
- This sector is looking forward for package tomorrow in terms of specific enforcement of indigenously designed development and manufactured equipments, keeping in view of ATma Nirbhar Bharat mission of our Hon’ble PM.
- Another issue facing telecom, ICT sector is large amounts of pending payments from BSNL,MTNL and other telecom PSUs and we hope that soon there would be policy guidelines for release of all pending payments
- The telecom sector also looks forward for some relief to telecom service providers in terms of AGR, spectrum charges, license & other fees and incentives to private operators for procurement of indigenously designed developed and manufactured telecom equipments.
- We look forward for clarity that no global tenders upto Rs 200 Crores is to promote domestic manufacturing.
- ‘Lastly while we talk of latest technologies of 4G,5G or may be 6G, but let us also appreciate that substantial part of our India specially in hills, NE, LWE, Aspirational Districts, rural areas etc. still remains uncovered and we hope atleast 2G for them urgently.